For lecture on 3 June 2021
How can you know if the spoon works?< Back to search results
- Format Lessons
- Language/s English
- Target Audience Further education
- EBM Stage 0 - Why EBM?, 1 - Asking focused questions
- Duration 5-15 mins
- Difficulty Introductory
Key Concepts addressed
- 1-3b Anecdotes are unreliable evidence
- 2-1c Comparison groups should be treated equally
- 2-1d People should not know which treatment they get
- 2-1e Peoples' outcomes should be assessed similarly
- 1-2e Comparisons are needed to identify treatment effects
Short, small group exercise on how to design a fair comparison using the “claim” that a spoon helps retain the bubbles in champagne.
Exercise 1. Students design a study; then
Exercise 2. Look at a study someone else has done.
This takes about 20 minutes, is good fun, and introduces some key concepts of trials.