How do we know if something makes us better or worse?< Back to search results
Have you ever taken medicine or had a vaccination or an operation? Did it help? Were there any side effects? How do you know that?
- Format Lessons
- Language/s English
- Target Audience Schools
- EBM Stage 0 - Why EBM?
- Duration 5-15 mins
- Difficulty Introductory
Key Concepts addressed
- 2-1a Comparison groups should be similar
- 2-1d People should not know which treatment they get
- 1-1a Treatments can harm
- 1-2c Association is not the same as causation
- 1-2e Comparisons are needed to identify treatment effects
How do we know if works?
- Have you ever taken medicine or had a vaccination or an operation? Do you know someone who has had an operation or acupuncture or used something like an herbal remedy or homeopathy?
- Did it help? Were there any side effects? How do you know that?
Work sheet – Do bright Smarties help you or hurt you?