Resources for teaching LR etc
Additional Resources< Back to search results
- Format Texts
- Language/s English
- Target Audience Self-directed learning
- EBM Stage 0 - Why EBM?, 5 - Evaluating your performance
- Duration <5 mins
- Difficulty Intermediate
Do you want:
- further general information about testing treatments?
- information about what is known about the effects of treatments?
- information about what isn’t known about the effects of treatments?
- information about current research addressing uncertainties about the effects of treatments?
- to become involved in improving the relevance and quality of research on the effects of treatments?
- training in assessing research?
- to know more about shared decision making?
- to learn about systematic reviews of animal research?
Do you want further general information about testing treatments?
- James Lind Library
- Cochrane Collaboration
- NHS Choices (enter ‘research’ in search window)
- UK Clinical Research Collaboration
- US National Cancer Institute: Educational material about clinical trials
- Steven Woloshin, Lisa Schwartz, Gilbert Welch. Know your chances: understanding health statistics. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2008.
- Les Irwig, Judy Irwig, Lyndal Trevena, Melissa Sweet. Smart health choices: making sense of health advice. London: Hammersmith Press, 2008. Available free at www.jameslindlibrary.org.
- Ben Goldacre. Bad science. London: Harper Perennial, 2009.
- Bengt D Furberg, Curt D Furberg. Evaluating clinical research: all that glitters is not gold. 2nd edition. New York: Springer, 2007.
- Trish Greenhalgh. How to read a paper: the basics of evidence-based medicine. 4th edition. Oxford and London: Wiley-Blackwell and BMJI Books, 2010.
- H Gilbert Welch, Lisa M. Schwartz, Steven Woloshin. Overdiagnosed: making people sick in the pursuit of health. Boston: Beacon Press, 2011.
Do you want information about what is known about the effects of treatments?
Do you want information about what isn’t known about the effects of treatments?
Do you want information about current research addressing uncertainties about the effects of treatments?
- WHO International Clinical Trials Registry Platform
- US National Institutes of Health Clinical Trials Registry
- EU Clinical Trials Register
- Australian Cancer Trials
Do you want to become involved in improving the relevance and quality of research on the effects of treatments?
- James Lind Alliance
Promotes working partnerships between patients and clinicians to identify and prioritize important uncertainties about the effects of treatments.
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Health Technology Assessment
Actively involves service-users in all stages of its work.
- NIHR Clinical Research Network Coordinating Centre
Keen to involve patients, carers, and the public in volunteering for clinical studies and getting actively involved as researchers.
- Cochrane Consumer Network
Promotes patient input to systematic reviews of treatments prepared by the Cochrane Collaboration.
- UK Clinical Research Network
Do you want training in assessing research?
- Critical Appraisal Skills Programme
Organizes workshops and other resources to help individuals to develop the skills to find and make sense of research evidence.
- Cochrane Training: Understanding Evidence-based Healthcare: A Foundation for Action
A web course designed to help individuals understand the fundamentals of evidence-based healthcare concepts and skills.
Do you want to know more about shared decision-making?
- The Foundation for Informed Medical Decision Making
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center: Decision Making Help
- Salzburg Statement