Finding and appraising qualitative evidence
Calling Bullshit Syllabus< Back to search results
- Format Lessons
- Language/s English
- Target Audience Further education
- EBM Stage 0 - Why EBM?
- Duration >15 mins
- Difficulty Introductory
Key Concepts addressed
- 1-3a Beware of conflicting interests
- 2-2b All fair comparisons and outcomes should be reported
- 2-3c Average measures of effects can be misleading
- 1-2c Association is not the same as causation
- 1-2f Consider all of the relevant fair comparisons
- 1-2j Earlier is not necessarily better
The learning objectives are straightforward. After taking the course, you should be able to:
- Remain vigilant for bullshit contaminating your information diet.
- Recognize said bullshit whenever and wherever you encounter it.
- Figure out for yourself precisely why a particular bit of bullshit is bullshit.
- Provide a statistician or fellow scientist with a technical explanation of why a claim is bullshit.
- Provide your crystals-and-homeopathy aunt or casually racist uncle with an accessible and persuasive explanation of why a claim is bullshit.