Finding and appraising qualitative evidence
Signals of overdiagnosis< Back to search results
- Format Videos
- Language/s English
- Target Audience Further education
- EBM Stage 3 - Appraising evidence
- Duration 5-15 mins
- Difficulty Intermediate
Key Concepts addressed
Gilbert Welch’s 8-min video showing how population screening for disease leads to overdiagnosis, illustrating how ‘earlier treatment is not necessarily better treatment’.
The population signals of overdiagnosis are:
- Rising disease incidence with unchanging mortality
- Increase in early stage disease with little decrease in late stage disease
- Substantial increase in small tumours with little decrease in larger tumours.
These patterns are illustrated with data about thyroid cancer, melanoma, kidney cancer, and breast cancer.