Finding and appraising qualitative evidence
Unsubstantiated and overstated claims of efficacy< Back to search results
- Format Lessons
- Language/s English
- Target Audience Further education
- EBM Stage 3 - Appraising evidence, 4 - Decision making
- Duration >15 mins
- Difficulty Advanced
Key Concepts addressed
- 1-3a Beware of conflicting interests
- 3-2a Do the outcomes measured matter to you?
- 2-3d Fair comparisons with few people or outcome events can be misleading
Misleading Ads & FDA Warnings
Unsubstantiated Superiority/Overstatement of Efficacy Claims. An implication is made that a drug is better or more effective without supporting scientific evidence
PharmedOut is a Georgetown University Medical Center project, that advances evidence-based prescribing, and educates healthcare professionals about pharmaceutical marketing practices.